5.02.2012

More projects, change of plans...

Well, this is what happens when you get a few projects on the go, other things take their place and fore front stuff becomes the back burners. 


Case in point, I found a great project boat for the summer business. Left last wednesday for a 5 hour one way trip to go see it and get it. Pretty long drive for something that your not sure what shape its in, but needless to say, it was in great shape. So thats pretty much what I have been working on for the past week.

New toy ready to leave for its new home

It was originally from the states so it had a hefty amount of bottom paint on the hull, which was obvious that no one had taken the time to sand it before applying another coat - year after year, after year..... So it was just caked on and looked awful. 

Port side finally all sanded













I just finished the port side and the rear transom area, sanding away all the old bottom paint and bringing the surface back to its original form. Once its all done, I will sand it smooth with some 80-100 grit paper, and clean it with surface prep, mask and roll on some new bottom paint. Try to get it as thick as I can so it will clean off this fall easily when I take it out of the water. 

This will be the first boat I've owned where I have dockage for it all season. I'll feel pretty spoiled not having to trailer a boat all the time. 

Port side comparison to the Starboard

Transom refurbish
The transom was in great shape, it just needed some TLC along the top. To prevent any further cracking along the top edge, I grinded away all the old fiberglass repair someone had done in the past and I'll re-glass it before paint. 

I am also looking for two larger pieces of stainless steel or aluminum to put on the transom for a bit of extra strength and to really finish the look off on it. 

So ya, some projects like the moped, the other 1960's boat, VW diesel rebuild will just have to wait until this beauty is finished. Lot of Trout and Salmon to be had with this thing, so it takes priority. 

Keep spinning wrenches, 

- SS 



No comments:

Post a Comment